26 November 2009

Thanksgiving, Three A.M.


May I declare, my friends, that it is totally disconcerting to have rats in one’s ceiling!? Imagine it. You’ve clomped regrettably downstairs after being awakened by your own teeth grinding at three in the morning. You and your aching jaw settle into the sofa in a house filled with a saintly sort of quiet and then it starts – the nightmarish sound of clawed rodent feet doing God knows what right over your head – break dancing? Seriously, people! This is an extremely active rat posse, scampering their ugly turd-shaped bodies from one end of the fifteen-foot ceiling to other. I picture them spinning on their greasy, furry backs, performing the windmill on their grotesque and plump tails, coffee grinding and all the rest... they’ve got it going on up there. I am almost envious of what seems to be a nonstop party in our ceiling. Yes, the rat hood has been at large for over a month now. Chad has attacked the problem with an impressive storehouse of ingenuity: sticky traps, holes drilled in the ceiling with rat poison, and good old fashioned slap traps smeared with peanut butter. But the rats are still with us...and other bum things -- like tonight when I was brushing my teeth before bed, a pipe under the bathroom sink sprung a leak, and suddenly I found myself wading in toothpaste water. And...the baby has the dreaded Croupe, so we had to call and cancel our Thanksgiving plans. Guess we'll be mashing our own potatoes this year.

All the same, I find myself down here on the sofa feeling rather thankful-ish. True, it’s officially Thanksgiving now, though the rest of the town doesn’t know it yet (it being still pitch black). And true: I am down here making the best of it all, nursing a glass of organic wine and nibbling (yes, like a rat) on a Sharffenberger Nibby bar (no, my friends, I am not cheating on The Lumpy Bumpy Bar – I appreciate the concern, but chocolate and I have an open relationship). What really gave me the thankful bug, though, was what I saw when I turned on the television to drown out the noises of the crazy legs posse. Truthfully, I was actually just getting ready to throw a mini pity party about being up at three with an aching head and all when I turned on the TV. Instead, I found myself captivated by a World War II documentary, called “The Colour of War.” Suddenly I found myself a witness to starvation, towns on fire, prison camps, and families torn asunder. The history channel really foiled my plans for a proper pity party! Tell me: how do you feel sorry for yourself over a rat in the ceiling and a case of insomnia when you see these emaciated, hollowed out, pale little Polish children dying in the streets; when you are listening to a narrator read letters German fathers have written from the war field to their children at Christmas time? I picture James, Charlie or Henry lying in a gutter like that, or having a father at war and suddenly, it’s all I need to feel grateful for the moment.

Here’s the thing: it’s not just history making me feel grateful; it’s that other versions of this documentary are taking place in the world, right now, as I crunch the divine cocoa nibs in my Nibby bar. There is war torn ugliness and the unimaginable suffering of children and adults alike right here on this very globe we all share. I feel both disturbed and grateful all at once: disturbed at the reality of a suffering so great I don’t know how to even imagine it; and grateful for safety: that the people I love are all snug in their beds right now, and I am here safe and sound in my woolly blankets on the sofa, awake or not, with nothing to fear but a pack of punk little rats.

So, it’s quite easy, really, to name all the good things in my life – the things that make me feel all thankful-ish inside. Beyond clean water, food, safety, shelter and love, which are not to be taken for granted, I leave you now with a stream-of-consciousness-four-in-the-morning-list of extra good things I am thankful for: chocolate (shocking, I know), the vegetable garden, the sound of my children giggling, Vicodin, my laundry-folding husband, Pandora radio plus music, in general, Wilson (my acupressurist), Point Reyes seashore, oysters on the half shell, Aleve, lime flavored sparkling water, Yosemite in the winter time, Chad's sense of humor, my college years, endorphins, the ability to walk, poetry, books, libraries, hiking trails, Eatwell Farm, Rachel Gomez’s parties, art projects, being alive, friends who laugh with me, wine, friends who cry with me, Anne Lamott, food, Charlie hugs, my kids’ friends, fall leaves, photography, coffee houses, writing, our house, Chabot Elementary School, Mochas, the joy of cooking, Holy Cross Community, the city of Berkeley, our Boy Scout Troop, Chad’s job, Julia Childs, hot lavender baths, photography, the granola-loving folk who keep me in business, and last but never least: the people who love me: my Chad, my boys, my parents, my big old extended family, my friends, and finally – YOU: the people who read my words and make me feel that they matter! AND NOW: I want to hear your thankful lists! Off the top of your head, go! Hit the comments button and share! And happy Thanksgiving!

4 comments:

  1. I am so, so bummed. I just typed a long list of things I'm thankful for went to post, got an error message and it is gone... Ugh.

    Happy Thanksgiving, Shannon. Maybe I'll try again later today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    Once again you did it again...your words seem to move me to tears. Your ability to paint a mural of what is happening in a few moments of your life has once again opened a flood gate in my heart... a welcome waterfall, a cleansing of my soul and the impact of memories and genetics imprint on our soul, the memories which make us who we are. My dear friend what you don't know about me and I am both thankful for and forever scared as a daughter of a mother of WW11, my own mother grew up during the war in Germany. She not only received letters from her dad, but also a knock at the door which sent her mother into her room for a week in tears only to emerge to and never speak of what had happened, never really knowing.... to raise her three small children. Her mom always carried a light of hope that some day her man would come through the door alive, or that's what she told the children and I think really believed it. Now at 40+, I am finally able to see and feel the effects War makes on generations to come. What you describe is what my mother lived and no she was never a Nazi. I also think of the untold stories of those innocent citizens who were not Nazi, but who had to be silent or die. I am thankful for my strong female German heritage. For it was the women who rebuilt the country, most whom had no idea of what horror and tragedies really went on in their own country.
    I am thankful that as I write this my own children are bouncing, dancing, twriling to music oblivious of me a few feet away teary eyed,feeling, feelings I hope will never have to feel. So here's my list, I am thankful for Music, bouncy, dancing laughing children, George Winston, Tuck and Patti, Nora Jones, and Music, Sweet music, lavender, I love Baths too, warmth, warm beverages, warm hugs, warm sun, warm blankets, words that move me, quotes, poetry, people/generations who have come before me,Michael, my sweet broken hearted German mom, my ability to love and give things I did not receive enough of...like love and sharing, sharing, AWAKE PEOPLE, Conversation, hot cocoa, Belgium chocolate, my teachers & lovers who led me to the best partner for my world, Artistic creative loving people, Art, Art, the ability to express yourself and be heard, books, libraries, reading, reading, learning,July Yosemite trips w/my SLZ Family,Monetery, Camel, Pacific Groove, Asilamar Beach, Lorret, del Mar? San Fleue Spain, Germany, the joy of cooking, Julia Child's, Ethnic food, Rachel Bradley's dinner parities too, Rachel's heavenly Fudge,HPNS Preschool, Sheila & Kathy, Mary Dennis my soulmate sister on earth, my children, Chabot Elementary, long walks on crisp, mornings, Biking in Yosemite, Dipping my toes in the icy cold,Mercede River, Tears of Joy, photography, gardening, flowers, nature that inspires me, Bethany my niece, Dearna, pumpkin doggie, lemons, spooning, naps, inspirational trips, visiting new places, strolling, window shopping, Anne Vancourt, open hearts and souls, Dali Lama,endorphins, smiles, dancing, Old friends, NEW friends, You, movement, and people who try to understand and love me for me and the ability to grow and change.
    I am so thankful for this share and I hope one day to be able to explain in words the stories which were silenced and the important stories that need to be told.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankfulness....waking up each morning whether it is a good day or a so-so day, my love, my children, my family and friends, my pets, health, a home with a roof over my head, water, heat, air conditioner, the amazing food we can find here to buy and eat, hope, books, music, (which goes with sight and hearing), memories, journeys of all kinds, snuggling....my there really are so many things to be thankful for.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, right now I'm thankful for having found Parallel Light - following a link in Jim Burke's blog.
    I love the way you write, your evocative voice that, post after post, stirs feelings and awakens memories.
    I'm an English teacher in Argentina and I'd love to refer my students to your blog. Hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete