02 November 2010

For You on All Souls Day


On this

The Feast of All Souls,

I feasted for you.


For you, I strolled vacant sidewalks slow,

absorbed October rays of sun.

I drank morning, Eucalyptus air.

I twirled the stem of a Maple leaf.

For you,

I wandered hand in hand with my son

into a sun-drenched Café;

I gazed long into his chocolate brown eyes,

rejoiced in his pastry-flecked cheeks.

For you,

we lingered over cocoa;

we wore whipped cream mustaches.

We giggled, wild, our mouths still full.

For you,

we strolled again, even longer.

We conversed with cats on lawns.

I listened to my son’s sweet meow.

For you,

we gathered up handfuls of fallen leaves –

fuchsia, delicate as tissue.

At home, we put them in a glass bowl.

We lit candles, and stood your photograph on the mantel.


I feasted all I could today

on this little life of mine,

for you.


*This poem is dedicated to Mrs. G and Steven Taddei -- two dear souls lost in 2010.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful poem Shannon XOXOXOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful that you wrote this Shannon. I felt as though I was walking with you both, sharing in your day. I had my thoughts racing, entwining my thoughts...missing those who are gone from my life. Honoring feels right on Feast of Souls Day.

    ReplyDelete